Posted to alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default kerosene heater?

Tom wrote:
I'm interested in max cost savings for heating. Why is it that hardly nobody
seems to be using kerosene heaters anymore? Is it just because of
inconvenience? Would I save a lot, especially if the commodities speculators
go crazy again soon and drive up the cost of my heating oil?

I have a fairly small house, live alone and keep the thermostat low all
winter. Could I just put a kerosene heater on the cellar's concrete floor and
let the heat rise upstairs? The kerosene would be auxiliary to the main
oil-fired steam boiler.

Thanks.

Wick heaters carbon up, clog and become less efficient as the wick ages.
Monitor kerosene heaters ARE popular and burn clean and are vented.
Propane is much better for space heating; no wicks to mess with.
I'd still go with vented propane though. If you house is air tight, you
could die from carbon monoxide posioning with ventless.

--
LSMFT