Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How to cover a basement drain

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:04:31 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 26, 2:56 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:37:15 -0700 (PDT), Borrall Wonnell

wrote:
On Oct 25, 6:50 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If the rest of the basement isn't even sloped towards this drain,
why do you need to keep it accessible?

Does it (or will it ever) serve any purpose at all?

Apparently I can swim in it and/or wash my dog.

From a local building code perspective, it has to be accessible. It
will also be convenient for the annual 'drain-the-water-tank'
maintenance, but generally it will be unused.

Most water leaks end up in the basement, even if they don't start
there.
Besides sticking a hose in it to drain the hot water tank or boiler.
I can't imagine not having a basement floor drain.

I think the answer in this case will be to pour new concrete to fill
the area in, then use it as if it was a normal floor (with an access
hatch cut for the drain).

I would extend the current drain with PVC before pouring in the
concrete, then fit the drain plate in before it sets.
But I don't know your intent.
My drain is in the unfinished sink/washer area of the basement.

--Vic

"I can't imagine not having a basement floor drain."

Then there are a lot (and I mean *a lot*) of houses you couldn't
imagine living in.

I'd like a show of hands:

Whose house has a floor drain (right hands) and whose doesn't (left
hands)?

Mine has one, but it's only use is for convenient water disposal when defrosting
the freezer, etc.

Never seen a house without one, but it might be code here.
Chicago area.
I've had a leaking foundation, which I got fixed, and a few inches of
water in the basement when a so-called "100 year rain" also knocked
out power to my pumps.
Both times the drain was very useful.
Other than that I've used them to drain hot water heaters and boilers.

I never look at a basement as something I'd finish except maybe one
room. Others go the full nine yards around here and never have a
problem.
Just a personal habit.
I'm in such a room now, finished by the previous owner.
Takes about 1/3 of the basement.
Tiled floor and dark 1/4" paneling on studs. No insulation.
Acoustic tiles ceiling. Not bad really.
But if I ever get to it I'll tear everything but the floor tiles out
and paint it all white. And junk the bar, which just gets in the way.
I see a basement as mostly shop/storage and a place to get away.
Handy, but I always figure it's ripe for flooding.
Maybe that comes mostly from TV reports of all the basement
furnishings on the street after a big rain that fills the storm
sewers.
The few inches of water I had down there wasn't a big deal because
except for a few cardboard boxes of junk nothing was lost.
Now I've got about $400 worth of plastic containers for my wife to
keep her "stuff" in.
Most of it is clothes, curtains, drapes, and the kids old toys and
school stuff. You know - the stuff a woman can let go of.
All my stuff is man stuff.
Wipe it down and it's good as new (-:

--Vic