Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default kerosene heater?

On 10/27/2010 3:35 PM, Tom wrote:
I'm interested in max cost savings for heating. Why is it that hardly nobody
seems to be using kerosene heaters anymore? Is it just because of
inconvenience? Would I save a lot, especially if the commodities speculators
go crazy again soon and drive up the cost of my heating oil?

I have a fairly small house, live alone and keep the thermostat low all
winter. Could I just put a kerosene heater on the cellar's concrete floor and
let the heat rise upstairs? The kerosene would be auxiliary to the main
oil-fired steam boiler.

Thanks.

Not sure you would save any money. Suspect kerosene costs as much as oil.

Personally I don't want to breathe unvented combustion products even if
there are safeguards in place to shut the heater down if it emits carbon
monoxide or oxygen level dips. I also suspect you will generate an off
smell from kerosene.

My rich/el cheapo neighbors use an electric blanket and let house temp
drop to 50 at night. Also have a supplemental wood burner built into
home system and gets all the wood he needs from his three acres. Tank
of oil probably lasts several years.