Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Any additional tips/suggestions/hints for dispensing gasolinefrom 30-55 gallon drum at home?

On 10/26/2010 7:56 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

Harold Lathom wrote:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:41:59 -0500, dpb wrote:
For the volume you're talking
about, you'll have no luck getting home delivery

Home delivery of 55 gallons of fuel does seem to be problematic.

I'm still finding cheaper alternatives for the equipment, e.g.,
http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/ma...-barrel/drums-
pails/closed-open-head-steel-drums-pails

But, I haven't yet found a fuel supplier.

And I'd say it's unlikely you'll find one. 55 gal isn't a "bulk" sale
to distributors and they're not going to waste their time. Farm
deliveries here are now 500 gal minimum excepting for some existing
long-term customers that are on routes that can cover going elsewhere.
I can still get 250 gal but not except when they're heading by to/from
one of the neighbors; they won't come out just for me any longer.

Curious about your farm deliveries. Do/Can you pay the road taxes
on that, or is it always for off-road use?

30 years ago in a place far away, I remember we 'couldn't' gas our
cars from the farm tanks. I don't know if that was peculiar to the
area, the delivery outfit, how it was set up for this farmer-- or
just BS from the farmer so he didn't have to deal with us using his
gas.g

Jim

Long ago and far away, my father used to have an elevated tank of
DIESEL, for topping off the company backhoe. This was at his small
construction company, and the 'storage yard' was maybe 3 city lots, so
everything above the six-food fence was visible to people (and kids)
driving by. One time they forgot to padlock the hose nozzle to the hook,
and some kids filled up their car from the tank. My father didn't have
the heart to press charges- the pain of explaining to daddy about the
tow bill and fuel system flush was punishment enough, he figured. Of
course, diesel was a lot cheaper back then.

--
aem sends...