Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Foam board insulation and wiring

In m,
willshak typed:
Twayne wrote the following:
In
,
John typed:
I'm redoing my basement and I have put in some of the
rigid pink insulation boards on the wall. So far, I've
attached the boards to the wall, and built a frame (1
1/2") on top of that. I'm planning on putting more of
the boards in between the framing studs before doing a
vapor barrier and dry-walling. My problem right now is
that I want to add an outlet near the bottom of one of
the walls... So, I have to run a wire through the wall
to the electrical box... I'm wondering if I should be doing anything
special around
the wire and/or the electrical box when doing this.

John

Just don't let the wires be insulated by the pink board.
Wire temps are derated at ambient room temps. Insulation
will collect/keep the heat in.

Wouldn't that apply to spray foam insulation too?

Yes. That's why you see in the regs to split the foam and butt it, rather
than just let it all be insulated; the heat needs a place to dissipate to.
See previous post for some references instead of just words of opinion.