Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing Locks

On Oct 26, 10:52*am, Dottie wrote:
The door leading outside from my garage has two holes for locks -- the
top one is the kind with a lever, up is unlocked and down is locked.
The lever is on the inside.
*The second hole just has a door knob - no lock - and it has broken
off on the outside. *The knob came off and is just sitting there on
the stem. *The door still locks fine ... but it looks bad and I want
to change it myself.

If I buy just the bottom part - *it looks like the kind that is used
on interior doors - no keys. *How hard are those to install? *The one
that is on there has two screws.

I can call a handy man service to come out and do it but would like to
save the money if I can. *Thanks.

It should be easy. Remove the knobs and parts from the door inside
and outside. Then there should be a couple of screws holding the
latch and the rest of it in from the side of the door. Remove those
and pull the mechanism out through the side.