Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cabinet shelves options

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:06:26 -0400, Bill wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 10/25/2010 8:28 PM, Bill wrote:

If you had not suggested it, I might have worried about the end grain
holding the screws in your blocking boards.

Bill, there is no exposed end grain in cabinet blocking ... the 2 x 4,
or 2 x 6 cabinet blocking is fitted in between the studs, similar to
fire stop blocking in stud walls, except with the wide face out.

Cabinet blocking appears to be a great way to deal with walls that
aren't flat too (and that must include most of them)! Pretty cool.

No, the blocking would follow the same curve the tubafores did before
it. No change. Scribing gets you a flat cabinet.

That drywall book I told you about has some tips on curvy walls. A
single cut with a recip saw can allow the bow out of a tubafore, with
a piece of 2x4 sistered on the side to regain the lost rigidity.

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.