Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Sorta near on topic, setting toe in.

On 10/26/2010 9:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:09:15 -0400, Wes
wrote:

I gotta replace my tie rod ends. Darn tires start fluttering back and forth at speeds
over 60 mph. The ends are wasted bad. After replacing them it means I need to set toe in
either by tape measure or some other means.

Remember to count, exactly, the number of turns the old tie rod takes
to come off. Install the new one the exact same number and you'll be
very close when you're done installing the new one. It saves tons of
time and hassle with centering the steering wheel afterwards. Another
time saver is to loosen both adjusting sleeve bolts and spray the
whole assembly with WD-40. Rotate the sleeves 2/3 of a turn back and
forth several times (while spraying) to make later adjustments easier.
Tie rod tips: If you don't have a TRE pickle fork, jack the front end
up and remove the wheels. Turn the steering to one side and work on
the knuckle which sticks out. Pull the cotter pin and loosen the TRE
nut several turns. Put a jack stand under the steering arm of the
knuckle near the TRE and lower the jack until it touches, for support.
Now take a FORD hammer and tap the TRE stud lightly, until it drops.
g The TRE can come off easily now.

If you don't want to peen the threaded end, you can smack the outside of
the steel ring (spindle extension) that surrounds the tapered stud, and
it will pop it free

I'm thinking of a board with my laser level placed against tire at mid point of rim. Point
it at a target 12' in front of the center line of the wheel and mark the laser spot for
each wheel. Then point backwards 12 feet. I figure roughly that if the distance between
the beam pointing toward the front is X the distance for the beam should be about x+2 inch
assuming 1/8" toe in, ~32" diam tire.

Does that sound right?

Tires all too often have bulges from hinky cords on the side. This
could throw your measurements off by literal inches, Wes.

Make some flat toe plates http://www.soloracer.com/toeplates.html

Note the slots in the edges for a tape measure. Bungee one to each wheel
and you can do it by your lonesome. But it's easier with two.

Make yours out of steel and your laser idea will work.
The laser seems like overkill, but probably more fun.

--
I can see November from my front porch