Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Replace bathroom light with no junction box

"MikeA" wrote in message
I removed my old bathroom light and there was no box. The wires were
just fed through a hole in the wall. I have a new light fixture that
requires being mounted to a box and weighs about 10 pounds.
Can I just use one of those replacement boxes that has the tabs and is
not mounted to a stud? Or do I need to mount a box to a stud (any
hints on doing this and not tearing up my wall too much would be
appreciated)? I guess another option is to use one of those fan boxes
that usually go in the ceiling but use it between two studs instead?
Thanks in advance
Mike

You can't use a cut in box as it's only good for six pounds. What you can
use will depend upon where the studs are, and if there is a vent pipe
between them. A retrofit fan box may work, but you won't be able to fit it
into a 2x4 wall without cutting it open. If there is a stud where you want
to mount the fixture you can use a pancake box.