Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Knowing an old guy can be useful (on topic)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:05:46 -0700 (PDT), engineman
wrote:

Good job Don.
Being the penny pincher I am I'd be afraid of annealing the jaws of my
visegrip, even if only the tips of the teeth.
A visegrip with dull teeth doesn't bite too well.(don't ask me how I
know.)
I'd do the heating first then the gripping, preferably in a vise.
(larger heat sink.)
Engineman

I have two sets of vicegrips which I keep separate: a few that I
regard as tools and don't get hot, and the rest that I use as welding
clamps and jigs and don't worry about getting them hot. Most of the
latter are imports, which can't be regarded as tools anywhere close to
as good as the real deal from Petersen Mfg Co, DeWitt Nebr. American
Tool bought them out in the 80's and now they're owned by Rubbermaid,
but my genuine Visegrips are nearly all pre-80's.

On Oct 24, 2:59*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,
*Don Foreman wrote:

My experience has been that if I can get the bolt and the metal it's
stuck in glowing dull red, *it will come out without much of a fight.
Heat above 1200 degF heat must do something to rust.

Yup. Rust holds water, and it swells. Hot enough and you drive it off,
and it shrinks. Also why loctite, or antisieze, or at least grease
should be on every threaded connection that will be out in the ugly wet
world.