Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Why do painted surfaces stick together?

On 10/25/2010 11:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"Nestor wrote in message
roups.com...

stuff snipped

You probably know polymethyl methacrylate better by the term "Plexiglas".
In the paint industry, paints that use this plastic for the binder resin
are called "100% Acrylic" paints. So, if you've ever seen that wording on
a can of paint, it simply means that the plastic film the paint forms is
the same kind of plastic that Plexiglas is made of.

Nestor, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about adhesion technolgy, I
have a question I hope you can answer. I have several large sheets of very
expensive Plexiglas I bought for a project in 1984. Now that I am getting
around to it (there's a l-o-n-g lead time around here!) I find that I cannot
remove the protecting paper. It's immune to water, soaking, and nearly
every solvent I have tried. It's stuck tight.

Do you (or does anyone else) know how to remove the brown protective paper
after it's been sitting for 25 years?

--
Bobby G.

Is this that infamous table saw again? Or was that somebody else?

--
aem sends...