Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default 3 phase service

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:39:24 -0500, Ignoramus3392

On 2010-10-25, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:58:56 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"The Kid" is putting in underground wiring to his outbuildings. For
now, power will come from the house to the shop.

The shop sits twenty feet from a three phase line. future plans is to
install a three phase service to the shop, cut the ordinal transformer
out, and then feed one phase back to the house from the wiring being
installed now.

OK, a one phase house service has two 110 legs on the same phase
opposite polarity to get 220 across the two hot wires, neutral is the
center tap. As I understand it you in effect get three 110 hot wires
120 degrees apart in the phasing for three phase with the center tap
for neutral.

So, can you run single phase 220 off this? Need any special provisions
installed now? He's putting in conduit - four wires - two hot, neutral
and ground.

Karl

Unless you have equipment with conflicting requirements, I'd plan for
a 208 wye service in the shop in order to get get both three phase and
120 single phase. Regardless of what you do in the future, it sounds
like you have enough wire buried to feed the house from the shop.

And how is he going to have 220 in the house?

He'll have 208/120, like most apartment buildings.

--
Ned Simmons