Posted to alt.home.repair
Borrall Wonnell[_2_] Borrall Wonnell[_2_] is offline

Default Foam board insulation and wiring

On Oct 25, 2:25*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
John typed:

I'm redoing my basement and I have put in some of the rigid
pink insulation boards on the wall. *So far, I've attached
the boards to the wall, and built a frame (1 1/2") on top
of that. *I'm planning on putting more of the boards in
between the framing studs before doing a vapor barrier and
dry-walling. *My problem right now is that I want to add an
outlet near the bottom of one of the walls... *So, I have
to run a wire through the wall to the electrical box...

I'm wondering if I should be doing anything special around
the wire and/or the electrical box when doing this.

John

Just don't let the wires be insulated by the pink board. Wire temps are
derated at ambient room temps. Insulation will collect/keep the heat in.

I didn't think you needed to derate cables in residential construction
unless you have bundles of cable. Around here, you are encouraged to
insulate as much as possible...no issues with insulating against
modern electrical cable. The exception would be if you had old-style
wiring (the type where the sheathing was prone to flake off over
time).