Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default 9/32" square rods

On Oct 25, 8:08*am, Alex Fine wrote:
I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.I
cannot find any suppliers looking in Google.They sell ready made
spindles but they are very expensive,!/4" is too small.Any ideas?
thank you.

I've seen spindles in hardware stores, probably not at the big boxes,
though. Some of the old-timey ones had three triangular sections
making up three sides of the square and a setscrew that spread them in
the knob. Those tended not to come off. The latch had a matching key
that went in the missing triangular section, too, check your door
latches. Usually supplied with a fourth section for square holes.
Some other suppliers would be restoration hardware makers(probably
expensive), architectural salvage places(might be cheap), scrounging
around old buildings about to be demolished or maybe an old time
locksmith's shop. Some of those guys accumulate stuff, too. I've had
some that had threads on the corners of the spindle, the knob actually
threaded on and the setscrew was supposed to keep it in place. Never
worked well, but check your knobs first. At least they didn't fall
off if the setscrew got loose, which it always did.

Stan