Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP EricP is offline

Default Gas Tumble Drier

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:39:42 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Ericp wrote:
Another thread mentioned gas tumble dyiers.

I am interested in one but would like to know the gas side of things.

I see that it must be vented to remove the combustion products and
that is fair enough.

As to the gas side, I suppose that a 15mm supply would be ok, but if
the suitable source of supply is not adjacent then having it fitted
could add a fairly hefty 50% to the cost of the appliance??

Also am I likely to find an appropriate fitter for a tumble drier??

Cheers for any comments.

Do it yourself? Ours came with pretty clear instructions regarding
ventilation requirements and fitting in general. Of course, sorting your
gas supply out will take some time/money/thought and shouldn't be undertaken
unless you're "competent". That said, it ain't rocket science.

I have never felt really competent with gas, except for altering
pipework where necessary. I prefer to leave Install alone and pay for
it.
I once intended to buy a manometer but it would be used once a decade.

One thing puzzles me about the instructions with our old White Knight
though, it states that for rooms less than 10 cubic metres, an extra 100
square cm of fixed ventilation must be installed. Fair enough, but it then
goes on to say that a window must be kept open during use. Can't see the
logic in this.

Tim

Overkill to absolutely prevent trouble and liability. Forty years ago
I installed a gas fire with back boiler in my mothers victorian house.
The draughts even had draughts but I still installed the air brick in
the wall. It was covered over immediately the fire was passed as it
made the room totally unlivable. Same in every house I have ever been
in. Probably more relevant in modern airtight houses than then.