Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Another reason to hate CFLs ...

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:08:20 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 02:28:14 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Now the other day, the bulb in my Anglepoise bench light failed, and as
it
was the last 60 watt pearl one I had - nowhere stocking such an animal
any
more due to EU ecobollox intervention

More...

"Emission spectra of some compact fluorescent lamps"
http://web.ncf.ca/jim/misc/cfl/

You can check the spectra of some CFL lamps at:
http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Compact%20Fluorescent.htm

"The Double Amici Prism Hand-Held Spectroscope."
Emission spectra of various lamps are furthur down the page.
http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/amici.html
Incidentally, you might find it amusing to see what CCFL backlit white
looks like on a laptop LCD display [1.3.7], and a Sony Trinitron
[1.11.3]. Also, the authors comments on "Full-Spectrum Lamps" near
the bottom of the page.

--
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the links, Jeff. Very interesting reading, as always. The last
one shows very clearly why the human animal is 'at ease' with daylight,
incandescent light, light from fire and so on, but in some cases - notably
*me* for instance - not with the light from CFLs. The discontinuity and lack
of general 'body' to the spectrum is very telling. Also, interesting to see
the spectrum from regular linear flourescent tubes. Those diagrams show me
very clearly why I don't have a problem with the light from them. That just
leaves (and begs) the question of why, when broad spectrum phosphors are
obviously readily and cheaply available, as evidenced by their use in linear
tubes, they are not using them in CFLs, instead ****ing about with limited
bandwidth emission triphosphor coatings, which produce the objectionable
light quality that I, and others like me, are being forced to endure. Do the
CFLs on sale in other parts of the world, in fact use linear tube phosphors
?

Arfa