Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Why do painted surfaces stick together?

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

I recently painted a couple of casement windows by removing them and
working on them indoors. They were correctly primed and painted
according to instructions, except that due to time constraints, drying
time was AT LEAST 5-6 times longer (after each coat) than recommended.
In other words, just right.

I did the same with the frames into which the windows were installed.
Weather was in the 70s and dry for 10 days straight, so there was
plenty of curing time between coats. All parts were dry when the
windows were reinstalled.

Even so, the first time I opened two of the windows after they'd been
installed & closed for a couple of days, the mating surfaces stuck
badly, damaging the paint in one small spot. Both primer & paint were
top of the line Sherwin-Williams stuff. Finish coat was a satin finish
exterior latex.

I've always figured latex paint takes a month to dry.

I did some metal garage doors this summer. Door sections have an overlap.
Left the overlaps separated and let dry for a day. Put petroleum jelly on
the joints. Worked out well.