Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_2_] RP[_2_] is offline

Default Bosch 12" axial-glide miter saw.

On Oct 23, 5:32*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 10/23/10 1:04 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
http://www.boschtools.com/Innovation...Miter-Saw.aspx

But is it really a better design or just typical modern German
engineering for the sake of engineering?

I say, yes, it's better, if only to save the space behind the saw.

Even if it isn't rigid enough to maintain accurate angles?

Who said it wasn't rigid enough?

Who said it was?

You like to assume the worst, don't you? * :-)

I'm an engineer. *We don't just go rah-rah at every new "innovation"
that comes down the pike.

I take for granted that a $700 Bosch saw is going to be built very well..
And you know, what? *If it's not, I take it back for a refund.

I don't take anything for granted.

I haven't used one, so I don't know.
But I have used some tube sliders that had way too much play for the
price.

Bingo. So does this thing address that problem or does it make that
worse to gain something else?

I guess we'll find out.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not an engineer but I do have a lot of background in how things
work or wear (Machine Tool Rebuilder in another lifetime) and I have
to say that the more moving parts or joints the more chance for
"slop". I have the Bosch 12" slider that I bought when they first came
out and it's still real accurate but the tubes are just a c hair
sloppy. I haven't looked in the manual but I think I can take up the
slop some...
I look forward to more reviews by "wreckers" who have hands on
experience then I might sell mine and upgrade. It looks real cool too.

RP