Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Another reason to hate CFLs ...

As if any more reasons were needed on top of their horrible startup
characteristics, their ugliness, their sick coloured light, and their
inability to last for a fraction of the claimed lifetime :-(

Like most of us, I suspect, I have hundreds of component drawers, which over
the years have become mixed up and confused, so in the circumstances of work
being very quiet at the moment, I decided to have a major tidy up and clear
out of redundant components. As a first move, I decided to rationalise the
resistors, and re-store them by individual value, rather than in groups of
values in the same drawer.

Now the other day, the bulb in my Anglepoise bench light failed, and as it
was the last 60 watt pearl one I had - nowhere stocking such an animal any
more due to EU ecobollox intervention - I put in a CFL that had come free
in a cornflake packet or some such nonsense. Once it has warmed up in the
morning - at least one coffee drinking time needed for this - it seemed to
work reasonably well. Until, that is, I started trying to identify the
resistors in my old drawers to move them into the individual value drawers
in the new location.

The spectrum from this lamp is so poor and discontinuous, that it is almost
impossible to resolve red from brown from orange, or violet from blue or
grey. Absolutely bloody useless. If I can't find any more 60 watt pearl
bulbs on the 'net, then I'm going to modify the lampholder to take a low
voltage halogen downlighter bulb, and hook it to a 12v transformer.

Arfa