Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default backer board seams

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Oct 23, 3:42 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

I'm about ready to lay down the backer board on my counter tops
so

I can
lay the 18" granite tile down.

I don't really understand backer board though. It wants to be
snapp

ed in
straight pieces which would leave seams between them. Particularly
arou

nd
the sink. Do you do anything with the seams, or not? I'm told
liquid na

ils
to glue the backer to the plywood, is that right?

Jeff

On walls I use Durabond to fill the seams. That would work fine for
a countertop also I think. On floors I use thinset and let it dry
before

lay the tile.

You must have at least 3/4" off plywood as your base for a counter so
a 1

"
roofing nail should be fine for nailing the backer board to the
substr

ate.
I use roofing nails or ring shank nails for laying the stuff on the
fl

oor.
The nailing pattern for a floor is fairly close; on a counter I am
sure y

ou
can get away with less.

What do you use to glue the backerboard to the subfloor?
Manufacturer's usually specify thinset or construction adhesive.

I used the cheap grey thinset. Not for adhesion but primarily as a level
bed without voids once dry. Backerboard screws as per the pattern
provided with some extras on edges many edges. All done while thinset is
wet of course. 1/8" between board edges. No three corners at one
junction.

When the tile goes down it's done with quality thinset and joints are
backerboard taped imbedded in the tile thinset.

After grouting I let it dry a FULL 3 days before sealing the grout with
this stuff. Like $50 a pint but it goes a long long way.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=pro&lang=en

All is good so far but it's only been a few months.