Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default backer board seams

On 10/23/2010 3:42 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message
I'm about ready to lay down the backer board on my counter tops so I can
lay the 18" granite tile down.

I don't really understand backer board though. It wants to be snapped in
straight pieces which would leave seams between them. Particularly around
the sink. Do you do anything with the seams, or not? I'm told liquid nails
to glue the backer to the plywood, is that right?

Jeff

On walls I use Durabond to fill the seams. That would work fine for a
countertop also I think. On floors I use thinset and let it dry before I
lay the tile.

You must have at least 3/4" off plywood as your base for a counter so a 1"
roofing nail should be fine for nailing the backer board to the substrate.

OK.

I use roofing nails or ring shank nails for laying the stuff on the floor.
The nailing pattern for a floor is fairly close; on a counter I am sure you
can get away with less.

Are you using thinset or mastic for the tile to backerboard glue? The
mastic is easier to deal with in a small area like a countertop.

I'm not the one doing the tiling, but I was thinking thinset as there
will be some water near the sink. How much space between the backer
board pieces? 1/4" as LJ suggested?

I've had trouble with *anything* to do with water. I may be unduly
cautious.

Jeff

Jeff