Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Whirlpool RF0100 electric stove trips breaker.

old stuff snipped

Ok so I removed the bake and broil heating elements. I measured each
element's resistance from one end of the element to its metal
supporting plate. And that's where the funky resistance measurements
are happening. There must be some partial internal short from the
hot wire inside the element to the outside supporting tubing. I
can't imagine that the resistance between the two would be less than
1M ohm. The readings were counting down to as low as 20K ohms. On
the other hand, it sure seems unlikely that both elements would have
exactly the same fault. Anyone have a heating element that they'd
like to check the insulating resistance for comparison?

Thanks for your reply.

You have bad heaters... they shouldn't be below 1M of IR..

If they are connected to together in some way, it's possible one
shorted, causing the other to get over voltage...

Just a theory.. but sounds plausible...

Some food may have splashed on the heaters and cause an internal
thermo warp.. Like something cold hitting them..

Are these heating elements pretty much standard or do I have to get an exact
replacement?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber