Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

Default cabinet shelves options

On Oct 23, 4:28*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"rlz" wrote in message

I am building kitchen cabinets using 3/4" oak plywood. *I'm using dado
cuts into the side panels for the shelves. *In a magazine i get, it
talks about using a biscuit joiner on cabinets. *I've used biscuits to
attach faceframes to the box, but I've never tried using them to
attaches shelves to the side panels. *Is this a feasable option? *Can
biscuits hold the weight of heavy dishes on shelves? *Most of the top
cabinets would probably get three biscuits on each end of the shelf.
If seems that there's not alot of wood to support the weight of the
shelf and the dishes.

Anybody try this before?

Rob

My current kitchen, that I built 20 years ago, I used biscuits to butt joint
shelves inside the cabinets. *Still holding up fine.
But if you are going to dado the sides for the shelves to fit into there
would be absolutely no reason to also use biscuits.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. I'll look into adjustable
shelves instead.

Rob