Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cabinet shelves options

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:57:28 -0700 (PDT), rlz
wrote:

On Oct 22, 5:52*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 22, 7:45*pm, rlz wrote:

I am building kitchen cabinets using 3/4" oak plywood. *I'm using dado
cuts into the side panels for the shelves. *In a magazine i get, it
talks about using a biscuit joiner on cabinets. *I've used biscuits to
attach faceframes to the box, but I've never tried using them to
attaches shelves to the side panels. *Is this a feasable option? *Can
biscuits hold the weight of heavy dishes on shelves? *Most of the top
cabinets would probably get three biscuits on each end of the shelf.
If seems that there's not alot of wood to support the weight of the
shelf and the dishes.

Anybody try this before?

Rob

If you're going to dado the shelves into the gables, there would be no
real reason to use biscuits there....imho.

I was thinking of not dadoing the gables and just using biscuits on a
butt jount. Just concerned about the strength of the biscuits.

While biscuits are bloody strong, I don't think I'd chance it.

--
I am an old man, but in many senses a very young man.
And this is what I want you to be, young, young all