Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default OT Electricity Generation

In article , Peter Scott
scribeth thus

All uyou have to do is multiply the average insolation of the UK, times
teh efficiency of PVS times the actual power requirements of the UK to
see that PV has not, never had, and never will have any hope of a
significant impact on UK power generation.

You don't even need to **** yourself looking at the costs.

Putting every single acre of land under a PV is not an option. It would
be too dark, and we would need all the power just to light it up again.

PV exists as a technology solely because of subsidy: which may be
withdrawn at a whim, and hopefully will be.

Perhaps you are right. But how is it then that people can go off grid
using only PV arrays in their own land? I don't have the data to allow
me to calculate whether we could power anything other than homes.

Fact
is PV and storage is going to come down dramatically in cost and will
become easier to install, so as I said above it will be one of several
sources of 'clean' energy. The exact percentage I don't know.

Peter Scott

Umm ... do you think they'll invent a way of shifting that Grey clag
above the UK so we can see the sun sometimes;?...
--
Tony Sayer