Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Whirlpool RF0100 electric stove trips breaker.

Brenda Ann wrote:
"David Farber" wrote in message
Regarding the circuit breaker, there was really
nothing else on that circuit at the time it tripped. Even so, why
would the ground terminal be the one to take the hit? There
shouldn't be any current flowing through there, right? The way the
stove is wired now is that the neutral wire of the stove is
connected to where L2 was before so the circuit path is from L1,
through the oven switch, through the heating element, through L2
which is now wired to neutral. Thanks for your reply.

David,

Is the breaker a GFCI type? That would explain the tripping, as the
way you have the stove wired, there is a large potential between
neutral and ground (in terms of a GFCI).

Not a GFCI. The circuit breaker is 20 amps and located in the sub panel.

How do you account for the large potential between neutral and ground? Since
there is no oven light or clock, the neutral wire in the schematic doesn't
really connect to anything except the chassis ground. Though I do agree with
you that in order for that circuit to trip and burn out the ground pin,
there is some major current flowing. I'd just like to be able to follow it
from beginning to end.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber