Silvan

Default Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases?

Eric Lund wrote:

Veritas shoulder plane adjusts so finely and the shavings look about 3
or 4 thousandths thick. It is real hard to get the others tuned to

key, of course, is the mouth. The adjustable mouth block planes are about

and you should be able to take a very fine shaving with a bench plane. In
fact, those 3-4 thou shavings will look like planks compared to what you
can take off with a finely tuned bench plane.

I thought I'd chip in here... I have a 1960-era #5. One of the blue ones,
not a Bailey pattern. It looks and feels like a pale shadow of what the
glory days of Stanley must have been, and just screams "cheap" and "not
made very well." (I got it for $25.)

Even with that, I can get shavings that appear to be no more than half a
wood cell thick. As you said, it's all about the way it's adjusted. Takes
a bit of fiddling, but if this junker can do it, any remotely decent plane
can do it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/