Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me!

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:52:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 20, 3:06Â*pm, deadgoose wrote:

It says it can be thinned. Have your tried that?

Yes, the instructions say it can be thinned, but they only mention
thinning in the instructions for rolling and spraying. They also claim
"Hammerite is designed to be ready for use." No, I haven't tried
thinning, mainly because it doesn't appear that I should have too, at
least according to the instructions.

Sounds like you are trying to put on too thick a coat?

As I said in my OP, if I apply a thin coat, it dries almost instantly
and "pulls" and ripples. If I apply it too thick, it sags. I (and it
could just be me) am unable to find that happy medium where it goes on
nice and even like "normal" paint.

Also, lay the rims down FLAT. That should help, I would think.

I'm painting them on a workbench, lying flat, but think about what a
tire rim looks like.

Standing up, lying down or leaning at an angle, there is no position
in which the entire surface will ever be flat. Tire rims - especially
trailer rims - will have horizontal, vertical and even bowl shaped
surfaces. They're a 3 dimensional object.

My rims:

http://www.championtrailers.com/tire...e_rim_tire.jpg

It's hammerite. It is designed NOT to go on smooth. If you want
smooth, buy different paint.