Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_17_] Andy[_17_] is offline

Default AC filter options

On Oct 19, 3:00*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

On Oct 19, 7:55 am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Many things can be purchased cheaper online. Have you tried a Froogle
search?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andy" wrote in message

My mother's AC uses a 24 x 24 filter for her central A.C.

She is having to pay $3.00 for each fiberglass filter.

I am looking for ideas on cutting down on that cost.

Thanks,
Andy

http://happynews.com/http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb.shtml

I found the right size at Home Depot for 1.00 cheaper.
They'll do till I get a washable electrostatic one.

Andy

I got the electrostat ones, and then quit using them. *A lot of work to
clean PROPERLY. *May go back to them, particularly with this talk of pleated
filters. *Is it that they work so well, they create an air restriction? *The
cheepie spun glass (?) ones look like you could drop a dime through some of
them, and don't look that efficient.

So, what's the best way to go?

And are there any differences in the $75 ones you get at the AC HVAC shop
(egad! that's IF they sell them to you without a license) and the $25
similar ones you get at the Borg where you may have to trim to size?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
*http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

My advice came from a trusted friend and AC guy who does both home and
commercial.

I talked the other day to a Lowe's manager.
Got advice different from other things I have been told.

I would trust what your AC guy says since he knows what is in your
system.

I think in my mother's situation, the pleated filters restricted the
air flow so much that the coils froze up.

Maybe the newer units are engineered to use pleated filters.

Andy