Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default Random Bit Generator

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:04:19 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:23:54 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:34:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'd like to conjure up a random bit generator.

Just feed it a clock and have it generate random bits.

74HC... components preferred... I have most everything in that family
in my parts bin ;-)

---
Whoopeee!!!

Right up my alley!

Do you want truly random or pseudorandom, and if pseudorandom how long
do you want the output to be before it repeats?

---
JF

OT:

Question: Why it is impossible to have sex in the middle of the Red
Square in Moscow?

Answer: Because every idiot bystander will be eager to give his
invaluable advice.

---
You, included?
---

Here is my invaluable advice: make a ring of the odd number of
invertors, compute a logical function from this ring.

Pseudo-random is just fine. I just need it to test an
encoding/decoding chip design. A hundred bits or so before repeat
would be quite adequate. No security involved... just testing to be
sure of no decoding hiccups.

Take a binary counter, compute some ugly logical function from its output.

---
Ouch!

I'm sadly disappointed, since from your earlier posts I thought that
you were more sophisticated than you now seem to be.

---
JF