Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me!

On Oct 20, 2:55*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been using some Hammerite Rust Cap to paint some tire rims -
brush on, not spray.

The stuff is so thick and dries so quickly that I'm having a hard time
getting a smooth, even finish.

The instructions say it will sag if over applied, but if I use too
little, it dries almost instantly and begins to glob up as I try to
combine two sections. The old rule of "maintain a wet edge" is next to
impossible and God forbid if I have to go back and touch up a section
even after a few seconds.

http://www.alvinkeyclamps.co.uk/Data...mmerite%20Meta...

Luckily, they're just trailer rims, so I'm not all that concerned, but
I'm certainly not able to brush on what anyone would call a quality
finish.

I've got one more surface to go, but to be honest, I don't know if
I'll be keeping the rest of the quart on the shelf. I can't think of
any other applications where I'd settle for the results I'm getting
with the rims.

I've had little trouble brushing it on vertical surfaces, like post
lights, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours. It is a little
more finicky than other paints, and you don't want to play with it too
much, lay it on, brush out once, and move on. I spray the stuff when
I'm doing complicated things, like patio furniture and the like. Get
a Preval sprayer. Works fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Sprayer.../dp/B000TRL9PY