Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me!

On Oct 20, 1:55*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been using some Hammerite Rust Cap to paint some tire rims -
brush on, not spray.

The stuff is so thick and dries so quickly that I'm having a hard time
getting a smooth, even finish.

The instructions say it will sag if over applied, but if I use too
little, it dries almost instantly and begins to glob up as I try to
combine two sections. The old rule of "maintain a wet edge" is next to
impossible and God forbid if I have to go back and touch up a section
even after a few seconds.

http://www.alvinkeyclamps.co.uk/Data...mmerite%20Meta...

Luckily, they're just trailer rims, so I'm not all that concerned, but
I'm certainly not able to brush on what anyone would call a quality
finish.

I've got one more surface to go, but to be honest, I don't know if
I'll be keeping the rest of the quart on the shelf. I can't think of
any other applications where I'd settle for the results I'm getting
with the rims.

I think the product is designed to be sprayed, you can thin it, if
that doesnt help get spray cans or spray what you have