Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default water main break creates 'cave' under parking lot

On 10/20/2010 8:26 AM, wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:13 am, wrote:
Hi all - the main water line broke at the connector at my townhouse.
It was discovered rather quickly and the water turned off within 2
hours. When the plumbers dug the hole to fix it, they discovered that
there is a HUGE cave underneath the parking space right beside the
water break. It's hard to tell just how large, but the entire shovel
dissappeared into it. Just guessing, it looks like it's at least 5-6
deep, maybe even as wide and about a foot of depth.

Obviously the potential for a huge sinkhole is there and this needs to
be fixed. What are the options for fixing this? The county and the
home owners association (I don't own the parking space, they do) say
I'm liable.

Thoughts? Ideas? How much does something like this cost to repair?
Keep in mind, that I live outside of DC where everything is more
expensive!!

Thank you

NAL

repair leak, then truck/s loads of gravel compacted.

in many areas the water company is responsible to fix main line leaks,
and colateral damage like sinkholes

Their responsibility very likely ends at the property line...on the HOA
property, it is likely the HOA's responsibility. Such was the case
with our condo sewer line.