Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default OT Electricity Generation

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:42:47 +0100 (BST) someone who may be "Dave
Liquorice" wrote this:-

This nearest line would be a small capacity one for the few scattered
farms right at the top end of Teesdale. I don't know where the
sub-station feeding this distribution is located. It may well be
Barnard Castle but possibly Middleton-in-Teesdale, that would be 15km
or so away.

The wind farm at Delabole, the first UK commercial wind farm,
http://www.delabole.com/aerieldelabole.htm is 1.5km from the
village, though the line may not be that long and I have no idea of
its capacity. It used to have a maximum capacity of 4 MW. Its effect
on the local electricity system was carefully measured and it
stabilised the local electricity system, the operation of tap
changers was much reduced.

The repowered Delabole
http://www.goodenergygeneration.co.uk/developing-renewables/Delabole_Photo-Gallery.aspx,
being commissioned at the moment, has a maximum capacity of 9.2 MW.
No idea if any changes have been made to the connection to the rest
of the electricity system.

So a 1MW hydro plant might be suitable to connect to a small 11 kV
line. Certainly Scottish Hydro Electric has a number of sub 5 MW
turbines in remote areas. I don't suppose they are connected by
anything more beefy than a small 11 kV line of the sort which also
feeds a few farms.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54