Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Motor Reversing

On Oct 19, 1:02*pm, wrote:

So for the same pedal effort (or boosted pressure with power brakes)
the drum brake WILL provide more stopping power. That cannot be
argued.
Period.

I love the way you keep narrowing down the parameters of your
argument.
Now we have to apply the same foot-pressure!

But you failed to address the opening act of my position, and that is
that either system can lock up a wheel completely and do so quite
easily. After that zero rotation has been reached, it doesn't matter
one bit what is holding that wheel stationary, the tire/road is now
the friction contact patch.... unless we want to modulate the braking
action rapidly and accurately via an ABS (which was developed by
Dunlop for aircraft applications) system and good luck doing that with
drum brakes. (I am not saying that has never been done, cheapos do
drums on the back-wheels), but it isn't the norm on anything with some
level of performance, and for very good reasons.)
But you go ahead and promote your one-stop drum philosophy, I'll stick
to stuff that works.
All YOU have to do is remember that every time you use your brakes,
your life is your foot's hands.

Oh.. and I'm done with this discussion.

And except for some of the more esoteric high priced (automotive)
brakes like (possibly) the Brembo, the combination of caliper, rotor,
and frame weights of a disc brake will outweigh all but the beafiest
drum brake implementation of the same diameter (by a significant
amount).

.......and what the hell does that have anything to do with the price
of fish?