Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_17_] Andy[_17_] is offline

Default AC filter options

On Oct 19, 4:17*am, ransley wrote:
On Oct 18, 10:52*pm, Andy wrote:

On Oct 18, 1:10*pm, Peter wrote:

On 10/18/2010 9:16 AM, Andy wrote: My mother's AC uses a 24 x 24 filter for her central A.C.

She is having to pay $3.00 for each fiberglass filter.

I am looking for ideas on cutting down on that cost.

Thanks,
* * * * * * * *Andy

http://happynews.com/
http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb.shtml

I vacuum them, first from the intake side of the filter, then from the
furnace side. *I use a trouble light first on one side and then the
other so that I can see the dirt. *The filters are blue and the dust is
gray, so it's not hard to see where you miss, either by direct light or
by the shadow missed areas create when you use transmitted light. *I do
that every 2 months. *After a year I discard the filters and insert new
ones. *I've never made a hole in a filter and haven't noticed any
problem doing this. *Not a great savings considering the heating and AC
bills, but even so, why waste $$?

I did that for a few months.

I decided it was too much work plus the electricity cost of running
the vac was probably close to the cost
of a new filter.

Andy- Hide quoted text -

If you think it will cost 3$ to run a Vac for 30 seconds to clean a
filter, I must ask, when is the last time the house was vacumed.
Because it wont cost 3$ probably not even 3 cents, so I bet you never
vacume. You really need to inspect the AC coil and furnace to see how
good a job of cleaning your present maintenance does, because
fiberglass filters are not good enough to keep AC coils clean.

Take some deep breaths.

The statement wasn't meant to be taken literally. :-)

AC system could not use pleated filters, they caused freezing up of
the coils.

Andy