Posted to alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default Old Briggs/Stratton

hr(bob) wrote:
On Oct 16, 9:41 pm, wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote:

21" Yard Machines push mower with 4.5 hp Briggs/Stratton Quattro, about 12
years old.

Yesterday I pulled/sharpened the blade, cleaned the air filter, and changed
the oil. Old oil looked about the same as always after 1 full season.

Today I start it up, I get a CLANK-CLANK-CLANK proportional to rpm, and kinda
like a rod knockin'. Gets lots worse as I try to mow, so I stop and test. The
motor will turn over and start with the rip-cord, but it feels t-i-g-h-t. Oil
is clean and up-to-level.

Definitely a candidate for the junkyard, but ... what happened? Key sheared
off the flywheel??

Look out, the rod is ready to come out the bottom of the crank case.

--
LSMFT

Simple job, assist the assistant of the physicist.- Hide quoted text -

If it is a vertical shaft lawnmower, the rod, assuming you mean the
connecting rod, will come out the side of the engine, not the bottom.
You are exposing your lack of knowledge of lawnmower engines.

The bottom is usually facing the rear on a single cylinder vertical.
You just don't know what the bottom is, your ignorance.

--
LSMFT