Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default dead microwave

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Does anyone make a really good, reliable microwave?

We had a Kenmore which had lasted us almost 20 years.

When it gave up the ghost, I replaced it with a Panasonic "inverter"
model... one of the higher-end consumer-grade microwaves. This died
early this year less than three years of service. Looking at the
consumer-grade microwaves available at the time gave me no confidence
at all.

I bought an Amana "medium volume commercial setting" model (ALD10T) as
a replacement. It's roughly twice the price of the better
consumer-grade type, but does seem to have a substantially better
build quality, and the magnetron has a 3-year warranty as opposed to 1
year (or less) for consumer-grade models. My hope is that it will
have a substantially longer lifetime than today's race-to-the-bottom
consumer junk. Biggest negative noted so far (from my wife'w point of
view) is that the fan continues to run for 30 seconds to a minute
after the cooking cycle is complete - this clears out the steam and
odors from inside the oven, but she hates the noise.

The companion model ALD10D has a mechanical timer and dial, and only a
single power setting... less to go wrong.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO