Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default dead microwave

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:34:28 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

Total failure as in front panel function could easily result from
cleaning fluids, corrosive cooking vapors, condensation etc..
I don't recall if the OP mentioned the interior light working when the
door was opened.

I was once asked to look at a heavily used microwave oven at a local
residential facility. The description was similar, but the problem
was obvious on first inspection. Long finger nails punching through
the elastometric contact keyboard. Once the protective membrane on
the front panel is punctured, all manner of liquids and gasses can
cause damage. I've seen this problem other times, where the customer
doesn't want to admit that they damaged the front panel, or somehow
considers such damage as normal. It also applies to TV/hi-fi remote
controls, printer control panels, calculators, where easily damaged
flexible membranes are used in place of hard plastic buttons.

While grease is usually non-conductive, having any grease in the
various connectors will produce lousy connections. I suspect a good
cleaning, and a low grease diet, might restore the oven to normal
operation. The green crud (copper sulfate) does not necessarily
signal the demise of the wiring, unless it's extensive. I would not
replace any electronics until the keyboard and controller cards are
baptized in solvent. It would also be interesting to determine how
the grease entered the area. Probably a mechanically mis-aligned
exhaust duct.

Opinions:
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Frigidaire_PLMV169DC_Stainless_Steel_Microwave_Ove n
This one is interesting:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Frigidaire_PLMV169DC_Stainless_Steel_Microwave_Ove n/content_392811679364
The Bottom Line: Despite the top-flight brand name, attractive
styling, and high price tag, this microwave is unreliable and
extremely difficult to clean.

Drivel: US DoE can't figure out how to measure microwave oven power
output.
http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/07/22/2010-17773/energy-conservation-program-for-consumer-products-test-procedure-for-microwave-ovens-repeal-of
Sigh.

--