Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default OT Electricity Generation

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:51:13 +0100 someone who may be "TMC"
wrote this:-

There are more pumped storage schemes than I realised already in operation

Foyers and Cruachan in Scotland. Ffestiniog and Dinorwig in Wales.
Sloy will be an interesting conversion.

Regarding NIMBYs and eco-conservationist I would ban them from using
electricity unless they were prepared to be affected by its generation

A little harsh. As well as being against hydro and wind the
landscape lobby were also against the overhead lines that connect
them with the rest of the system. A great fuss was made when NoSHEB
put up these lines in the Highlands, the same sort of people made a
fuss again when the upgrading of one of these lines was approved.
The letters pages of the newspapers were full of angry letters, they
were even more critical of organisations like Friends of the Earth
Scotland which supported it.

Possibly the way to go would be lots of small scale mill type schemes which
should be reasonably productive in the Mill towns of the north and big
rivers in the south.

They would make a useful contribution and if community owned the
profits would go back to the community.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54