Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Grand Designs (again)

On 18 Oct, 10:03, chris French
wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

harry wrote:

Slates don't just slide out of the way. And niether do most tiles.
Some interlocking tiles might silde up.
The sort of thing you'fe talking about works for a single small panel.
But if you're going to cover the roof in panels than somthing far more
substantial is needed.

My tiles slide fine, none will be drilled. The planned
installation is large. As I said, brackets are affixed, these
support rails onto which the panels are fastened.

Sounds like our friends recent installation. About 10 Panels IIRC.

AFAICR, the brackets have been fitted to the roof without any need for
flashing etc. (they have modern-ish tiles so easy to slide, our
Vicrorian slate roof would be *a bit more of a fiddle maybe).

There is a sort of slotted square aluminium section rail fixed to the
brackets running along the roof - top and bottom of the panels. The
panels are fixed to the rails with clips/clamps
--
Chris French

I called in at a manufacturer's shop. They has massive brackets on
these particular ones. I don't see how you could achieve a good fix
without some disruption to the slates/tiles.