Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default "Heatballs" - Their time has come

DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped since this side thread has drifted

(My favorite was always "Space Monkey Mafia" )

--
Bobby G.

What I love doing is pointing out to my "kids" (18 - 24) how many of
"their" songs are remakes of songs from my generation. I love pointing
out to them that many of the artists that they listen to fit into one
of 2 groups:

1 - They don't know how to write quality music so they remix the great
songs from my generation.
2 - They know how to write quality music, but they also recognize
quality writing when they see it and give tribute by remixing it.

You're more charitable than I am. Remixing always equalled creative
bankruptcy to me, but I realize that's just a personal opinion. That
doesn't mean there aren't great songs still being written as there are some
very talented songwriters still cranking away.

Somehow I doubt that too many of the new songs they listen to will be
remixed by the next generation of musicians. If it's crap now, it'll
still be crap in 20 years.

But it will be kitschy crap 20 years from now, and that might be enough to
breathe new life into it.

I'm not putting down all music of today,
because there are a lot of talented writers/performers out there, and
I like some of the same stuff my kids do. However, when I see them
enjoying Eminem sampling "Big Brother and The Holding Company" or
Silvertide rocking Dylan's "Maggie's Farm", I have to point out to
them whose music they are listening to.

Silvertide? Is that what silverfish ride in on? (-: (I occasionally force
myself to watch shows like Entertainment Tonight and TMZ just to learn the
names and faces of the current generation of "stars." My generation seems
to be showing up mostly on the obituary page and that's too depressing. )-:

--
Bobby G.