Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Klaatu Klaatu is offline

Default dead microwave

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 03:57:47 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'd normally agree, but the fact the unit /slowly/ declined
suggests that something other than a voltage loss is going on.

Well, not really. Analogue power supplies, such as the ones in
microwave ovens usually are, will die gracefully as a result of bad
electrolytics getting worse.

I've never seen this, but I sure don't know everything. Anyhow, what
about the fact that some buttons "failed" before others? (That's a
rhetorical question.)

The microwave as I understood was above a stove and was probably
cleaned frequently because of its location. I've seen many control
panels permanently damaged by cleaning fluids on not only microwaves
but also other home appliances and electronics. This fact can
certainly account for button failure.

--

Agreed. I was just thinking of a scenario that would account for both
progressive failure of buttons, and then ultimately (apparent) total

Arfa

grease infiltration into the keypad could be the first problem,and then
grease making a conductive path and the HV shorting out and blowing the
line fuse.

I finally "retired" my 30 year old,$350USD Sharp MW,replaced it with a $99
GE from Wal-Mart;1.8Cu.Ft.,1100W.
Had to return the first one,the turntable didn't turn....

then I realized how much the power had dropped on the older 700W Sharp.
;-)

I don't expect the GE to last half as long as the Sharp did.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If it has GE on the front, you'll be lucky to make it past the first year.
ESPECIALLY if you bought it at Wal-Mart.