Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:50:34 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 10/17/2010 5:11 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
Running continuously does use some electricity, but it probably
cheaper than spurts of high speed whenever the plenum temperature is
above the preset turn-on temperature. Due to the eveness of the
temperature, you can proably set the thermostat a couple of degrees
coller than normal (for wintertime use) because you won't have the
temperature swings that you get with an off-on type of operation.

Can't remember where we set it with old furnace but when wife is cold
she nudges it up. Furnace or fan does not run continuously.

I replied before clare said that his done run all the time.

What brand of furnace do you have? Is it an ECM kind? Is it oil?

I think I want ECM, but only if I can turn the fan off entirely.

Especially if I go out of town for a week, there is abosolutely no
point in having the fan run when the burner is not burning.

I've heard similar complaints about heat pumps that don't put out a
burst of heat but give even temperature control.