Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Heatballs" - Their time has come

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:27:34 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Oct 17, 3:35Â*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:02:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
I'd guess that the fluorescents put out less heat, and more light.

Your guess would be wrong. Â*Think about it.

For a given input power, say 25 watts, the compact fluorescent puts
out more light energy than the 25 watt incandescent light bulb.
Unless there is a new law of thermodynamics, if the compact
fluorescent light puts out more light energy, it must put out less
heat energy. Now, we can argue the amount of the difference, but
there is a difference in the heat output between two 25 watt devices.

NOT necessarily - if a flourescing powder changes one wavelength of
energy output to another, the difference does not need to be
significant -and that is really how flourescent lights work. The
phosphor is activated (excited) by invisible radiation to emit visible
spectrum radiation instead.
Is there a difference in heat output between the 2 25 watt devices?
Definitely. Is it a significant percentage????? Perhaps -but the
ballasts on my CFLs do generate pretty significant heat.