Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan ChairMan is offline

Default "Heatballs" - Their time has come

In ,
spewed forth:
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:16 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

In m,
DGDevin spewed forth:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am currently using a 60W bulb for that exact purpose - to
provide heat in a small space.

Jon

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked in oilfield camps in
the frozen north. The big tanks of propane which provided heat for
the trailers had insulated boxes under them containing lightbulbs
that were powered by the camp diesel generator which ran 24/7. The
heat from those bulbs kept the propane from turning into a gel and
not flowing to the heaters.
The very fact that an incandescent bulb produces so much heat (as
opposed to light) from the electricity it consumes should be a hint
as to why such bulbs are no longer such a great idea. When we
switched to CFLs our electric bill took a dive. Pay more for power
vs. pay less for power, hmmmm, tough call.

but shouldn't the market be the one that effects the change and not
gvmt? I know lots of people don't like choice, but things are
getting ridiculous.

Up here, in the summer time we don't use lights much, and in the
winter we need the heat anyway - so what's wrong with incandescent
lighting? If I'm sitting reading in the evening and the lamp is giving
both heat and light I can be comfortable with the thermostat at a
lower setting as the lamp produces radiant heating - warming me in
it's beam without having to heat the whole house.

Yup, thats what's nice about "choice"