Victor Radin

Default What can you with a lathe?

In article ,
says...
Gene wrote:

measured in minutes to hours. Some projects are useless, like the
mushrooms mentioned. We call them "art" or "craft" depending on whether
you have your lathe in a shop or studio

Not useless. Tie a couple of them to a string and you have a bola. Put one
on your desk and you have a paperweight. Put a bunch of them in a bag, and
you have a weapon almost as good as a sack of doorknobs.

I make bunches of the silly things- I've got four or five on the desk,
and another small forest of them in the basement. I collect wood from
our Scout Reservation summer camp- wonderfully spalted Silver Birch, red
pine, oak, maple- and give them as gifts to the staff. When I get a nice
batch of donated greenwood from friends or neighbors I'll quick-turn a
shroom or two from the same wood as a 'thank you'. Faster than a bowl or
other item, and the warp of a green-turned shroom can be very "artsy-
fartsy".
--
Happy Turning,
Vic