Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Carbide router bit and acrylic

"notbob" wrote in message
On 2010-10-15, Morgans wrote:

I do not know if you know how to modify a drill bit for acrylic, but if
not, you change the cutting edge from positive rake like most drill bits,
a 0 degree rake or a 1 or 2 degree negative rake, so it scrapes the
material, instead of grabbing off more than you want and chipping or
cracking it.

It would follow that such a mod on a HHS router bit would be necessary if
you were to ever want to use a router on acrylic.

We used to knock off the sharp edge on a new drill bit, jes touching
it to the wheel at a 45 deg angle to the apex. We'd use these for
both plexi and brass. I was thinking the same for a router bit, but
have never used a router on plexi.

I "usually" go for a little more precise modification, by using a dremmel
cutoff wheel, and turn it sideways to the leading edge of the bit, grinding
a small amount of the leading edge back a bit to produce a 0 degree face. I
then paint the bit with a bit of orange spray paint. The paint wears off
the outside of the bit, but enough remains down in the flutes to make quick
work of identifying it as a modified bit.

Call a TAP plastic outlet. They do plexi/lucite by the ship load.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

A safe bet, but where is the adventure, in that? ggg
--
Jim in NC