Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Vacuum chamber ideas

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have one of the regular ones, cost about $200 new, and it works like a
charm. Are you talking about something a lot bigger?

Steve

You probably have an external vacuum sealer. Seal a meal. The chambers are
over a grand. I have thought of making one also. As too cheap to spring
for a chamber one. Bags are a lot cheaper and you can package tuna in
retort bags for a better product. I was thinking a small stainless sink,
but I like the steam table pan idea better. I was going to weld some studs
on the bottom to attached some stringers or weld some stringers to the
bottom of the sink. Pan sounds better. Then maybe weld a stainless steel
bar top grid for sealing. Have not figured out the lid yet, as I would like
a transparent lid. I have read about someone using a refrigerator
compressor as the vacuum pump. Pulls 28" of mercury, which is what the
better chamber sealers claim.