Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default dead microwave

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 03:57:47 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'd normally agree, but the fact the unit /slowly/ declined suggests
that something other than a voltage loss is going on.

Well, not really. Analogue power supplies, such as the ones in
microwave ovens usually are, will die gracefully as a result of bad
electrolytics getting worse.

I've never seen this, but I sure don't know everything. Anyhow, what
about the fact that some buttons "failed" before others? (That's a
rhetorical question.)

The microwave as I understood was above a stove and was probably cleaned
frequently because of its location. I've seen many control panels
permanently damaged by cleaning fluids on not only microwaves but also
other home appliances and electronics. This fact can certainly account
for button failure.